home › Forums › This week’s rides › Wed 0600 8 Feb DUX Long Black
- This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Adam Kenny.
2023-02-07 at 9:58 am #74172Russell IvesKeymaster
Might as well post it now! Easy Long Black. Depart DUX @ 0600, High St, Albert Park, Beach Rd etc. Coffee in Carnegie. Still on the taper! R2023-02-07 at 10:17 am #74176Andrew McEwinParticipant
Great work Russell
Carol is in for the complete ride and i will enjoy until Black Rock
See you in the morning2023-02-07 at 6:24 pm #74177Matt DouglasModerator
See you there.
Matt2023-02-07 at 7:25 pm #74179Frank NiglioModerator
See you at Darling Station
Cheers Francesco2023-02-07 at 8:30 pm #74180John RobinsModerator
Thanks Russell, I’ll escape early at South Road.2023-02-07 at 8:36 pm #74181Adam KennyModerator
Aiming to join but never wait for those that run late2023-02-07 at 8:50 pm #74182Neal CamModerator
Rusty , looking forward to the taper ride. Will aim to get to FJ by 7:30 for coffee, may turn early before BR. Thanks for posting.
Neal2023-02-07 at 8:54 pm #74183Margaret PhillipsParticipant
I’ll join the ride, same as usual don’t wait for me and I’ll turn at South Rd. Margaret2023-02-07 at 9:09 pm #74184Julie ThiesModerator
See you at the start line. JJ2023-02-07 at 9:55 pm #74185Ken BartlettModerator
Yep I’ll join you2023-02-07 at 11:05 pm #74186Julie-Anne SheppardModerator
C U at the Dux
Julie-Anne2023-02-08 at 9:41 am #74187Russell IvesKeymaster
Great ride this beautiful morning. thanks all!
Continuing my bunch riding tips:
– As noted by Adam on Beach Rd we were a bit ‘loose’ early. Keeping in a tight group, 2 lines, evenly spaced, makes us more distinct for cars to see and deal with us group.
– “single up to pass”. When passing another group it’s sometimes necessary to pass in single file. The safest way to do that is as follows (assuming we a riding 2 abreast):
– the right hand line progresses past the other group in single file
– the left hand line joins the back of the right hand line and progresses past the other group in single file
– the lead rider of the right hand line moves left when well clear of the other group
– all our riders progress past and move left after passing the lead rider. This is similar to ‘rolling turns’
– everybody rolls through in the right hand line until we are re-established into the 2 abreast formation again.
– why do it this way… it gets our group past the other group in single file (safer), the right line is always going past the leader meaning there is lesser risk of our riders getting jammed between the other group and our lead rider (safer), we get established back into 2 line abreast clear of the other group.
Hope this helps!
Thanks, R2023-02-08 at 2:56 pm #74188Adam KennyModerator
It’s a catch 22, as part of the reason we all enjoy a bunch ride is for the rolling chat. The problem with a big bunch is that you can have multiple mini chats/ bunches going on and this can lead to disaster …
We actually need to be more disciplined in a big bunch .. never more than 2 wide, listening for calls and providing calls . The tighter and more in tune the bunch, regardless of the tempo, the better you can get the job done safely and all applaud each other at coffee.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.